Skip to content
  • IG
  • Twitter
  • Telegram
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • FB
  • LinkedIn
Orinoco Tribune

Orinoco Tribune

From Venezuela and made by Venezuelan Chavistas

Primary Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Opinion
  • About us
    • About us
    • Becoming a Volunteer
    • Editorial guidelines for contributors
    • Our Sources
      • Venezuelan Sources
      • International Sources
    • Contact us
  • Categories
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Security and Defense
    • International
      • Africa
      • Asia
      • Europe
      • Oceania
      • US/Canada
    • Latin America and ALBA-TCP
      • South America
      • Central America and the Caribbean (+Mexico)
    • Ideology-Commune-Labor
    • Health-Education-Sport-Culture-Technology
    • Solidarity and Social Movements
    • OT Specials
  • Support Us
    • 2025-2026 Fundraising
    • More Options
  • Merch
Light/Dark Button
YouTube Channel
  • Latin America and ALBA-TCP
  • News

6th Massacre in Honduras As New Caravan Exits

January 16, 2019

A new massacre in Honduras brings the death toll to 22 in six separate massacres since Jan. 1. A new migrant Exodus, or caravan will leave the country Wednesday.

Honduras has experienced a rash of violent massacres in the new year just as a new migrant caravan sets to leave the country Jan. 15.

Four family members comprising three generations were found shot dead in the Olancho department Sunday afternoon. Arturo Funez Zelaya, Aldivin Zelaya and Maycol Zelaya, and another male yet to be identified, were all found murdered in a rural area near their home in what appeared to be an ambush.

This Jan. 13 incident marks the sixth massacre to occur in Honduras in 2019 bringing the death toll for these mass murders to 22, not including other kinds of individual homicides.

The string of violent murders began Jan. 1 when in Puerto Cortes, Oscar Armando Paz Nuñez (35), Ramon Allas Cornejo (68), and Hector Hernan Borjas Rios were murdered.

Three corpses were found tortured in Yoro in Central Honduras the following day.

Honduran Deputy Minister of Security, Luis Suazo reported Sunday that the state had declared certain areas “hot zones”, meaning the government would send in more militarized police forces, with the aim of stabilizing the regions where the multiple homicides occurred.

“On instructions from President Juan Orlando Hernández, security and surveillance operations were intensified in places where multiple deaths have occurred,” Suazo told reporters Sunday. The government official added that the state is prioritizing the massacre investigations and that they will not stop until the perpetrators are punished.

“We are coming for the criminals who have committed multiple murders and we will not rest until we find them,” said Suazo.

The Honduran rate of impunity for homicides has hovered around 95 percent for the past several years. Hernandez already increased the number of special police forces in the county to 14 shortly after he first took office in 2014. And while the homicide rate has decreased from its 2012 record numbers, Honduras registered 3,791 murders in 2017, according to InSight Crimes.

The fourth mass killing happened in Tegucigalpa when four young men and one woman were sprayed with bullets from automatic weapons on Jan. 10 as they were talking on the sidewalk. The families of the victims said that one of the killed was bound to a wheelchair. Most were aged 18.

On Jan. 13, four friends between 20 and 24 were found along a highway outside the capital tortured and within bags. Their family now says the youths were on their way to a movie when their murders occurred.

So far, there seems to be only one survivor, a person who, along with four others were shot at in the city of Tela and is now in the hospital.

The slew of violent murders with groups of young people as the targets is happening just as a new Central American Exodus, or migrant caravan, gathers in Tegucigalpa with plans to leave the capital Jan 15. Between 7,000 and 10,000 Central American migrants and asylum seekers left their Northern Triangle countries between October and November of last year looking for safety and economic security.

The United States President Donald Trump accused the refugee seekers of being ‘criminal invaders’ and ordered tear gas and rubber bullets against them in Tijuana at the border with Mexico. The U.S. government is in its 24th day of a partial federal shutdown initiated by Trump when the last Congressional session refused to allot US$5.7 billion toward his planned, enhanced wall between Mexico and the United States.

Source URL: Telesur English

cropped-OTLogoManuallyReconstructed-1.png
orinocotribune
Website |  + postsBio
  • orinocotribune
    Engineers restoring the electrical station. Screenshot via DiarioVEA.
    August 18, 2026
    Venezuela Restores 450 Megawatts at Termocarabobo Following Earthquake Damage
  • orinocotribune
    House destroyed by the earthquake in Boca de Suruco, La Encharca. Photo: Diario Red.
    August 18, 2026
    Indolence and Misgovernment: Abelardo’s Mark on Colombia’s National Tragedy
  • orinocotribune
    3b86092d-10ed-4b3b-add9-0dfca08346f9
    August 18, 2026
    Trump Threatens To Bomb Oman if It Moves Against US Blockade
  • orinocotribune
    economy of the few against the many ones
    August 18, 2026
    Capitalism Trains Us To Blame Each Other for Systemic Abuses
Share on X (Twitter) Share on Telegram Share on Bluesky Share on Facebook Share on Reddit Share on WhatsApp Share on LinkedIn Share on Email
Tags: Caravan Honduras migrants US Imperialism

Post navigation

Previous Previous post:

Claudio Fermin: The President of Venezuela is Nicolas Maduro

Next Next post:

Elias Jaua: “It’s Impossible to Preserve the Independence if the Mafia that Dominated the Economy is Not Dismantled”

img_9891
Support us on Patreon
Other ways to support us
Weekly Digest
------------

NEWS: POPULAR POST

  • An artisanal gold mine in Mali. Photo: Moises Focus.Mining Reforms Power Mali’s Push for Infrastructure Development 3 days ago
  • Cuban leader Raul Castro speaks during a gala commemorating the 100th anniversary of his brother Fidel Castro’s birth at the Karl Marx theater in Havana, Cuba, August 13, 2026. Photo: Ramon Espinosa/Ap.Cuba Slams Expulsion of Its Diplomats From the Dominican Republic 18 hours ago
  • View of the El Palito refinery, owned by the Venezuelan state oil company PDVSA, from the El Faro district in Carabobo state. Photo: Jesus Vargas/picture alliance/Getty Images.Public Assets Commissioner: US Kept $4.7 Billion of Venezuela’s Oil Revenue to… 4 days ago
  • Person casting a vote within a Venezuelan National Electoral Council box. File photo.Venezuela: Delcy Rodríguez Schedules National Popular Consultation for October 11 2 days ago
  • Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella handed out soccer balls from inside a vehicle in Buenaventura after last week's earthquake on August 16, 2026. Photo: IG/@carlosparrabuc.Colombia’s De la Espriella Hands Out Soccer Balls With Party’s Logo to… 1 day ago
  • Acting President Delcy Rodríguez shakes hands with a worker at a factory visit. Photo: Venezuelan Presidential Press.Delcy Rodríguez Praises Agreements With Opposition to Recover Venezuelan Gold in England 3 days ago
  • Arturo Sairias embraces a family member after being released from the Rodeo 1 prison in Guatire, Venezuela, June 14, 2026. Photo: Ronald Peña R/EFE.Venezuela Grants Alternative Detention Measures to 131 People Amid US-Backed Talks… 3 days ago

Subscribe to Our Weekly Digest

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

OPINION: POPULAR POST

  • The national flag of Venezuela. Photo: Sovereign Media.Venezuela Is Not Iran 2 days ago
  • El Panal Commune and Fuerza Patriótica Alexis Vive, Caracas, March 2026. Following a visit to the commune’s livestock project, our international delegation met with Chavistas to learn about their efforts to develop locally controlled and sustainable agricultural production. Photo: Kimberly D. Miller/file photo.Beyond the ‘Delcyification’ of Analysis 1 day ago
  • Passerbyer walks in front of a banner that reads “Venezuela is a Peace Territory” in Ciudad Tiuna, Venezuela. Photo: Roger D. Harris.Venezuela: Don’t Blame the Victim 4 days ago
  • A photo illustration showing a US flag with a graph of declining wealth and inequality indicators, symbolizing the disparity between average and median wealth in the United States. Photo: Geopolitical Economy.Americans Are Not Wealthy: This Is the Truth About the US Economy 18 hours ago
  • Acting President Delcy Rodriguez receives Rabbi Isaac Cohen after the earthquakes in Venezuela. Photo credit: Venezuelan Ministry of Foreign Affairs.It Is Immoral, Sadistic, Humiliating, Outrageous, Cruel, and Vile to See Zionism… 1 week ago
  • Featured image: A collage of a Guardian front page and a Chinese flag, with the headline “Hawks dressed as doves” overlaid. Photo: Friends of Socialist China.Hawks Dressed as Doves: The Guardian’s Case for a Harder Line on China 3 days ago
  • Argentinian protesters show a banner that says "My country is not on sale" against the Land Law proposed by the government. Photo: Guadalupe Lombardo.Argentina: People’s Victory, Milei’s Defeat 3 days ago

Categories

We are on Mastodon

Mastodon
Receive our news directly in your cell phone or PC, join us on our MASTODON account.

 

We are on Discord

Discord
Join our DISCORD server to check our content without algorithms and to interact directly with our team.

The original content by Orinoco Tribune is free to share and it is licensed under CC BY 4.0Creative Commons LicenseCreative Commons License

We are on Bluesky

Bluesky

If you are there, follow our Orinoco Tribune BLUESKY account.

  • IG
  • Twitter
  • Telegram
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • FB
  • LinkedIn
Copyleft, No rights reserved.

We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing, you agree to our Privacy Policy.