Last week the 14th BRICS Summit took place virtually, chaired by Chinese President Xi Jinping. The BRICS bloc (Brasil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) represents a key political, economic, and scientific force in the international arena. These nations represent half of the world’s population and their collective GDP is greater that $20 trillion.
In today’s context, the significance of the BRICS summit is increased to the extent that the bloc represents an alternative to the unipolar world of the decaying West.
RELATED CONTENT: Two Countries Apply to Join BRICS
What follows are some of the key points from the Summit’s declaration in Beijing:
- Multilateral compromise in the defense of international law, which includes being more inclusive with less developed countries.
- Promote peace and international security without compromising the environment.
- Support for a an open, multilateral, transparent, inclusive, rules-based, non-discriminatory commercial system.
- Cooperation to combat COVID-19, with support for multilateral organizations but also searching for medicinal alternatives.
- Support dialogue between Russia and Ukraine from an impartial perspective.
- “We strongly support a peaceful, safe, and stable Afghanistan while we emphasize our respect for its sovereignty independence, territorial integrity, national unity, and non-interference in its internal affairs.”
- The necessity to resolve the nuclear problem in Iran through peaceful and diplomatic means in accordance with international law.
- Support for bilateral and multilateral negotiations in order to solve the problems related to the Korean peninsula.
- Compromise for a world free of nuclear arms.
- Cooperation against terrorism and the reaffirmation of the exclusive authority of the UN Security Council.
- International cooperation against corruption.
- Compromise to continue bettering the coordination of macroeconomic policy, to further practical economic cooperation, and to work to achieve post-COVID-19 economic recovery in a sustainable, balanced, and inclusive manner.
- “We commit to strengthening intra-BRICS cooperation to intensify the BRICS Partnership on New Industrial Revolution (PartNIR) and collectively create new opportunities for development.”
- “We encourage the BRICS Interbank Cooperation Mechanism to continue playing an important role in supporting BRICS economic and trade cooperation.”
- Opposition to green commercial barriers and support for coordination on this issue.
- Cooperation in agriculture.
Translation: Orinoco Tribune
Misión Verdad is a Venezuelan investigative journalism website with a socialist perspective in defense of the Bolivarian Revolution
Misión Verdad#molongui-disabled-linkMay 26, 2023
Misión Verdad#molongui-disabled-linkMay 23, 2023
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)