Consortium News Target of a Malware Attack as Twitter Takes Down Assange Support Groupâs Account


Orinoco Tribune – News and opinion pieces about Venezuela and beyond
From Venezuela and made by Venezuelan Chavistas

The simultaneous escalation of censorship of Julian Assangeâs support base, alongside the latest wave of fact-free attacks on Assange and WikiLeaksâ, raises concern about a coordinated effort to smear Assange while silencing those who counter such dubious reporting.
Consortium News was under attack on Monday, days after the premiere episode of the outletâs live-streamed show, CN Live! The malicious attempt to shut down the website, according to the siteâs web host, followed on the heels of the suspension of pro-Assange account Unity4J from Twitter.
Consortium News wrote via Twitter on Monday regarding the cyberattack:
Our website is completely down. Our media host said we have been attacked by malware. They actually tried to blame “the Russians”! Every article published since 2011 now gets a 404 Not Found. They are working on it. Problem started slowly on Friday first day of CN Live!
â Consortium News (@Consortiumnews) July 15, 2019
The hack of Consortium News sparked concern regarding what appears to be an escalating wave of attacks on the independent press, as well as censorship of activists who support independent journalists, includingWikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. Consortium News was restored by 10:44 pm EDT on Monday, but issues related to publishing new material persist.
RELATED CONTENT: We are Back and Kicking
As news of the attack on Consortium News spread, some Assange supporters connected the event with Twitterâs suspension of the Unity4J movementâs Twitter account. Christine Assange, Julian Assangeâs mother and an activist in her own right, Christine Assange tweeted:
ANOTHER Censorship attack on the truth!
This time respected investigative journalism media @ConsortiumNews!
CN hosted highly informative #Unity4J online Vigils, where prominent professionals exposed political persecution of journalist Julian Assange
They just launched CNLIVE! https://t.co/dfUVfxxH11
â Mrs Christine Assange (@AssangeMrs) July 15, 2019
Christine Assange also wrote on Sunday that she had lost âover 8,000 followers overnight.â
CNLive!âs inaugural live-stream included an interview with Nils Melzer, the UN rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, who âdiscussed his work on the condition of imprisoned WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange.â
Consortium News had previously conducted the Unity4J online vigils over a period of months. The Unity4J Twitter account was suspended last Thursday for no known reason. The ban sparked a backlash includingindependent media coverage from a number of outlets, as well as an impassioned statement from Pink Floydâs Roger Waters, who called Twitter âBig Brotherâ for permanently removing the account. To date, no explanationfor Unity4Jâs suspension has been made public.
Caitlin Johnstone wrote of the suspension via Medium:
âSpeaking for myself as a vocal Assange supporter on Twitter, I can say that Iâve been following the @Unity4J account closely since its earliest days and Iâve never once seen it post anything other than highly professional-looking advocacy for Julian Assange. Iâve certainly never seen it post anything that could be construed as abusive, misleading, or otherwise in violation of any of Twitterâs posted rules.â
Unity4J was far from the only account targeted recently. Additional Unity4J activists, including many of those associated with running the Unity4J Twitter profile, were also either suspended or locked out of their accounts. One Unity4J admin, Aaron Kesel, who also writes as an independent journalist, said in an interview that they were locked out of their accounts within minutes of publishing an article covering the Catalonian publicâs celebration of Assangeâs birthday. Activist Post, the site on which the article was published, was likewise reportedly hacked in recent weeks.
RELATED CONTENT: Orinoco Tribune Positioning Itself Among the Best Websites of its Kind
On the same day that Consortium News fell under attack, CNN published a conspiracy-theory-laden articleaccusing Assange of having conspired with âthe Russiansâ to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election from within the Ecuadorian embassy, which CNN described breathlessly as a âcommand post.â (Little irony thatConsortium News was also told that their website being attacked had had something to do with âThe Russians.â)
Spanish newspaper El Pais on July 9: “Spanish security company spied on Julian Assangeâs meetings with lawyers”
Add little security state propaganda and 6 days later you get from CNN: “How Julian Assange turned an embassy into command post for election meddling” pic.twitter.com/7sOIKCTxTG
â Kevin Gosztola (@kgosztola) July 15, 2019
The CNN piece rapidly garnered criticism from journalists including Caitlin Johnstone, Kevin Gosztola, andAaron MatĂŠ. The documents at issue in CNNâs article were previously described in a totally different light by Spanish paper of record El Pais:
âThe security employees at the embassy had a daily job to do: to monitor Assangeâs every move, record his conversations, and take note of his moods. The companyâs drive to uncover their targetâs most intimate secrets led the team to carry out a handwriting examination behind his back, which resulted in a six-page report. Company employees also took a feces sample from a babyâs diaper to check whether Assange and one of his most faithful collaborators were the childâs parents. This intelligence work had nothing to do with protection duties.â
Gosztola wrote of CNNâs piece: âIf one reads CNNâs report, it is clear, like the CIA, they do not view the work Assange was doing as journalistic bur rather the work of an âenemyâ of the United States.â Black Agenda Report Editor and Senior Columnist Margaret Kimberly wrote via Twitter:
The Unity4J account was suspended just before CNN claims to have proof of Assange contacting Russians. @consortiumnews website hacked too. What a coincidence that people who have been Assange’s staunchest defenders are kicked off their platforms at the same time.
â Margaret Kimberley (@freedomrideblog) July 16, 2019
The simultaneous escalation of censorship when it comes to Assangeâs support base, alongside the latest wave of fact-free attacks on Assange and WikiLeaksâ reputation, raises concern regarding the potential of a coordinated effort to smear Assange while also silencing those who might counter such dubious reporting.